Saturday, September 15, 2012

Top 50 Pump Up / Motivational Songs (40-31)





40) All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix
Love Jimi, love his voice, love the guitar solo.  Love it all!



39) Superstar – Lupe Fiasco

“If you are what you say you are, a superstar, than have no fear, the crowd is here and the mic is on.”   I write and write and write about not coming up small in big moments.  If you want to be successful, you have to welcome (no, embrace) the opportunity, as the kids say, to “do the damn thing.”  This is what this song means to me.  “If you are what you say you are…”


38) He  Loves Me - Jill Scott
Not all of my motivational songs are fast ones.  I absolutely love this song in which Jill Scott, for me, perfectly captures the feeling when you have that right someone in your life.  When it’s still new and everything is still perfect.  It starts slow and soft and builds to this wonderful crescendo of awesome.  Kinda reminds me of something else, upon which I won’t elaborate. J



37) Now That We've Found Love - Heavy D
This is a classic pump up song for me.  It has nothing to do with the message, though there is nothing to quibble with here.  The tempo of the song is so fast and the mood so light that you simply can’t help but run faster or push harder when you hear it.  R.I.P, Overweight Lover!



36) Optimistic  - Sounds of Blackness
Another motivational one.  “You can win as long as you keep your head to the sky.” Preach, ladies, preach!

 
35) Shining Star – Earth, Wind and Fire
I love the “Mighty Elements” and this song in particular.  Great groove and great message.  “You’re a shining star.  No matter who you are.  Shining bright to see.  What you can truly be.”



34) The Theme from Chariots of Fire - Vangelis

The theme from Chariots of Fire, much like the theme from Rocky, has adopted a life and a brand of its own.  It is instantly recognizable and has become synonymous with winning and overcoming.  So much so that it is almost a cliché now.  But I still happen to find to very motivational. 


33) The Power - Snap
“I got the power.”  And who does want the power, right?  This song has great pace and a couple great lines that will make you forget the searing pain in your legs for a minute.  “Cause, I might attack and you don’t want that!”



32) Theme from Shaft - Isaac Hayes
Isaac Hayes is the man and this is him at his funky best.  And if you don’t like it, “shut yo’ mouth!”



31) Tonight – John Legend
There’s nothing I like better than some good boasting.  And this right here?  This right here is some smooth R&B type boasting.  I love the irony in the lyric, “I don’t want to brag, but I’ll be the best you’ve ever had.”   Riddle me this, John Legend.  Let’s imagine for a second that you did want to brag.  What would you say then?  Love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment