Thursday, September 13, 2012

Top 50 Pump Up / Motivational Songs (50-41)


I had so much fun writing my Top 10 favorite pump up songs that I decided to expand the list.  In the next five blog posts, including this one, I will share my Top 50 pump up or motivational songs.  I say motivational as well, because not all of these songs have the faster beats of a traditional workout song.  Some of these songs just motivate me through the message rather than the music.  I hope you enjoy!


50) Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
For people of a certain age, there no way to hear this song without thinking of Rocky, Clubber Lang and Apollo Creed.  This is the song that Rocky “trained” to while he prepared to avenge this loss to Clubber Lang (Mr. T) in Rocky III.  Don’t get caught singing this one in the gym, though.  It’ll be hard to play that one off.  Not a good look!


 
49) Higher Ground – Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder is a musical genius.  At least, that’s what they used to say on Saturday Night Live.  But it’s absolutely true.  I could make an entire Top 50 countdown of Stevie songs that I love, but this one is great for a workout.   “Gonna keep on tryin’ ‘til I reach the highest ground.”

 
48) Digital Underground - Doowutchyalike
This song is just plain fun.  Actually, it was a coin flip for me between this song and “Humpty Dance.”  I love them both.  Do you want to giggle while you work out?  Listen to one.  “If you’re hungry, get yourself somethin’ to eat.  If you’re dirty, then go take a bath.  Messed up the line?  Naw, sometimes I don’t rhyme.”


 


47) Loungin' (Who Do Ya Luv) - LL Cool J
Sometimes one profound lyric will make a whole song for me. This is not a pump up song in the traditional sense.  But there is one lyric here in particular that motivates me.  I will sing it out loud no matter who's listening. "Man made the money, money never made the man!"





46) What's My Name? - DMX
Not to be confused with Destiny’s Child’s “Say My Name,”  “What's My Name?” perfectly captures my mood after I have conquered a particularly tough workout.  For the record, my name is B.A.M.!!


 
45) Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson
This is another one that is motivational for me.  It's about self determination, writing one's own future. "Gonna make a change, for once in my life. Gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference....I'm starting with me. I'm starting with the man in the mirror."  Change yourself, change the world.




 
44) We Fly High - Jim Jones
I am well aware that the intended meaning of this song has nothing to do with how I take it when I hear it.  But I like the notion of "flying high" meaning achieving great things.  It's my list, so the song means what I want it to mean. :)  And for days after hearing is song, you may catch me screaming "BALLIN!" at random moments for no apparent reason.




43) I Believe I Can Fly - R Kelly
I'd have to put this under the category of motivational songs rather than pump up songs. This one does not help me run any faster on the treadmill - it's too slow.  But “The R" says "I believe I can fly.  I believe I can touch the sky.”  I believe it to.  Belief is more than half the battle.







42) Hypnotize – The Notorious B.I.G.
Love the bass line in this song.  Great vibe for a little warm up run.  Biggie is just so smooth with his, ain't he? Again, Biggie didn't make many nursery rhymes as this one is definitely not for the kids.  But I am always so impressed by how clever my man was.  "I can fill you with real millionaire sh*t, escargot, my car go 160 swiftly, wreck it, buy a new one. Your crew run, run, run. Your crew run, run.



  
41) LA Woman  - The Doors
I’m not in love with entire song.  In fact, there are a few Doors songs  I like better than this one.  But I love, love, love when they get to that part.  “Get your mojo rising.  Get your mojo rising.”  It builds slowly and starts to move like a runaway train.  By the end, I am pushing myself twice as hard as I planned.



No comments:

Post a Comment