Monday, September 17, 2012

Top 50 Pump Up / Motivational Songs (30-21)


30) Get Up, Stand Up - Bob Marley
Listen closely and you will hear that Bob Marley was Public Enemy before Public Enemy.  Don’t let the ganja and the reggae beats fool you!  The brotha was hard core motivational.  “If you know what life is worth, you will look for yours on earth.  Now you see the light.  Stand for your rights.”





29) Let’s Get It Started – Black Eyed Peas

They may be this generation’s Queen.  Whoa, now before you start flooding my inbox with nasty-grams, allow me to clarify.  They seem to have a knack, like Queen, to write songs that are perfect for stadiums.  This one is one such song and great to run to as well.




28) Getting’ Jiggy With It – Will Smith

This is the trifecta for me: a fun vibe, a great beat and PLENTY of boasting.  I mean come on, “I met Ali.  He told me ‘I’m the Greatest’”?  “You might fall tryna what did?”  Now that’s great stuff!




27) Ain’t Nobody – Chaka Khan
This is any other one in the vein of the Jill Scott song I mentioned earlier (#38).  There is very little more empowering than knowing you have the right people on your team when the sh*t goes sideways.  “Ain’t nobody love me better.  Make me happy.  Make me feel this way.  Ain’t nobody.  Love me better than you.”  And my girl Chaka doesn’t just sing, she SANGS!!



26)  Moment for Life – Nicki Minaj
This a rap song and like many rap songs, parental advisory is required.  However, there is a part in this song that I absolutely love!  “And I will retire with the crown.  Yes!  No, I’m not lucky, I’m blessed.  Yes!  Clap for the heavyweight champ.  Me!  But I couldn’t do it all alone.  We!”  Bragging and modesty in the same line?  Now that’s clever!





25) Fight the Power - Public Enemy
This is the anthem right here, friends.  If it doesn’t move you, please check your pulse!






24) I'm Not Afraid - Eminem
“I’m not afraid to take a stand.”  And there you have it.  Now listen up and go get it!




23) Forever - Drake
This is quite possibly the best first line ever, EVER, in a rap song. “Last name ever, first name greatest.  Like a sprained ankle, boy, I ain’t nothing to play with.”



22) Dream On – Aerosmith
Steven Tyler.  Some of you know may only him as the crazy or (half-stoned) old dude on American Idol.  However, he used to do a little singing prior to that gig and I really like this one.  Steven Tyler is like Axl Rose to me.  You think he’s just screaming until you try to scream along and discover there’s a whole lot of skill to it.  Also, I love the message here.  “Dream on.  Dream on.  Dream on.  Dream until your dream comes true.”




21) I'm Bad - LL Cool J
This is the prototypical boast rap.  Nothing pumps me up like a good boast rap.  "I'm the pinnacle.  That means I reign supreme.  And I'm notorious,  I'll crush you like a jellybean. I'm bad!"  Now that’s bad.  But “not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good.”




No comments:

Post a Comment