Friday, March 9, 2012

Why I'm "obsessed" with working out - 3/9/12



Some might say that I am "obsessed" with fitness.  Most mornings, I wake up at about 4:30am to work out.  On occasion, I have been known to get up at 2:30am to get a work out in when I have an early morning flight and know it will be my only chance to get it in.  On the road, I will drive for miles to find a suitable local gym.  But am I obsessed? No.  I call it "driven."

I am driven by visions of the future.  Driven by a vision of my son walking across the stage to accept his diploma, looking into the crowd but not seeing me.  Driven by a vision of my daughter being walked down the aisle on her wedding day by her brother because her daddy died of a heart attack when she was 12.  Driven by the thought of all the lonely walks they would take in their lives if I insisted upon looking like the top picture on this page rather than the bottom one.

Am I obsessed? No, but I am focused like a mother - check that, like a father.  Obsession is a word often used by people who don't recognize focus, drive or passion when they see it.  They are confused by the strength of your "why."  They cannot comprehend how you are able to find the motivation that so often eludes them.

I have no such confusion.  Check the picture above.  My "why" is crystal clear...

No comments:

Post a Comment