Friday, February 17, 2012

Score one for the little guy! - 2/17/12

Another gut check passed.

For the past few months, I have been working out six days a week - three lifting days and three cardio days. Now that I am training for a marathon, I need to get more running in, which means dropping one of my lifting days. My Friday workout, a variation of P90X Legs & Back, is the workout I will drop as I move to running four days per week. So this morning was the last time I will do this routine for a while.

Perfect excuse to bag, but here the problem. This whole workout thing is more about discipline for me than the actual weight lifted or distance run. This morning, I went AFTER IT. Very proud that I stood up rather than standing down.

There was a funny moment this morning. There was huge dude yakking about his pull up prowess. He crowed, "I do 3 sets of 10" as if it was an Olympic record. He was "coaching" an onlooker, telling him pull ups are the only way to "get your back wide". Then here comes little 'ol me (all 5'5" and 160 pounds) asking to get on the pull up bar for a set. I proceeded to do 12 wide grip pull ups wearing a weighted belt with 35 pounds attached. I followed up with 15 reverse grip pull ups hauling 55 pounds - and tried not to crack a smile.

Score one for the little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment