Thursday, February 23, 2012

Don't Mess With My "Me Time" - 2/23/12

I make it a point to be completely selfish for at least 60 minutes almost every day.  My workout is my "me time" and if you try to lay a hand on it, you may draw back a stump!


Many days, my workout is the only hour in the day that is completely mine.  The only hour in which I am not serving someone else - my family, my friends, my employer.  My workout serves me alone and, damn it, I deserve it!  It's an hour dedicated to my fitness, my mental health, my ambition, my passion, my pride and no one else's.  


It's an hour (or so) per day that I can shape and mold however I like.  It can be:

  • A test of endurance
  • A display of shock and awe
  • A time for quiet reflection
  • A battle of good versus evil
  • A quest to rage against the machine or stick it to The Man

No matter what happens afterward a workout, I know that I have won something.  I have defeated the gravitational pull of the bed.  I have moved at least one inch forward.  I have become strong, faster, better.  Some days, it's the best hour of the entire day - the only thing (good) I have to say for myself.

As much time as you spend serving your many masters, it's essential that you build time into your schedule to serve yourself.  My "me time" is protected by a 20 foot electric fence surrounded by a moat full of crocodiles.   Enter at your own risk :)

Workout Recap
Workout - Shoulders and Arms

1 comment: