Friday, November 2, 2012

7 Reasons I'm Running a Marathon: #2 - For the Haters and for the Lovers

I am running my first marathon on Saturday, November 3rd. So I will blog all week about seven reasons why I'm running a marathon.

#2 - For the Haters and the Lovers


I always like to share my big goals out loud.  I do it because my biggest goals always scare me a little.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  I have heard it said that if your goals don't scare you at least a little, they are not big enough.  So, I say my goals out loud to make myself accountable.  Once you have told the people in your life what you are doing, it's harder to back out.


But of course there is a risk to sharing your goals, hopes and dreams. Some people will mock them.  They will try to convince you why your goal is not worthy, or too ambitious too pursue.  I have had people in my life label me as "obsessed" when I believe I have been "focused".  They have tried to convince me that up is down and that positive is negative.  I run to prove them wrong.

But there are many, many more people who have embraced my dream wholeheartedly. When I spoke about it, they spoke with me as if my success was guaranteed.  They would say "when you run the marathon" when there was still a little "if" in my heart.  Friends and strangers alike have believed in me stronger than I believed in myself at times.  And I run to prove them right, to validate the belief they had in me. I run for them as well.

But there is one reason, one reason beyond all others, that I am running this race.

No comments:

Post a Comment