Saturday, November 3, 2012

7 Reasons I'm Running a Marathon: #1 - To be an example

I am running my first marathon on Saturday, November 3rd. So I will blog all week about seven reasons why I'm running a marathon.

#1 - To be an example

There was a time in my life when all I wanted to do was to acquire something.  Degrees, jobs, money, achievements, toys.  As a younger man, that was the way that I measured myself.  I measured myself by what I owned and what I had done.

Then I became a parent, and EVERYTHING changed. 


Anyone who is a parent understands pretty quickly that your children are studying you constantly.  They are much more likely to become who you show them you are than who you tell them to be.  There is no bigger wake up call than watching your child "act a fool" and realizing that he or she learned that from you.  Almost overnight, I shifted from wanting to have something to wanting to be someone, someone worthy of emulating. 

So I became dedicated to showing my children who I want them to be rather than preaching to them.  And, friends, it's hard work and I am far from perfect at it.  I want them to be patient, so I try to show them that I can be patient.  My kids are 8 and 6, so they give me ample opportunity to test my skills.  I want them to value their  integrity, so I try to create an environment in which they feel comfortable telling me the truth...even if its hard.  This list is endless...    

There are so many traits I hope my children will possess.  So more than anything, I am running this marathon in an attempt to show them the way.  Marathon training requires focused dedication to a goal.  It takes courage.  You have to ignore the pain at times.  You have to rise up after being knocked down.  Marathon training also requires a willingness to set aside what you want right now for what you want the most.  If I could teach my children all of these things, my work on this earth and in this life would be done.

I hope that they are watching Daddy now.  I am proud of what I'm about to do and I hope they can see it too!

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for the effective gear to improve my runs and stumbled upon militarygradenutritionals.com/blog/. Besides many useful tips, I have also read there about natural nutritional supplements, which help athletes and military to enhance their endurance. I have tried their products by myself and was impressed how quickly my tone went up. I was able to double my distances and had enough energy even after the finish! These products make my trainings much more effective.

    ReplyDelete