Thursday, November 1, 2012

7 Reasons I'm Running a Marathon: #4 - Vanity


I am running my first marathon on Saturday, November 3rd. So I will blog all week about seven reasons why I'm running a marathon.

#4 - Vanity


Can I be real with you for a minute?  I used to be 10 pounds stuffed in a 5 pound bag. Or more specifically, 230 pounds stuffed in a 5'5" frame.  When I entered a room, I would draw absolutely no attention, unless it was feelings of pity.

For a number of reasons, I found the motivation to save my own life. I battled to get fit, sweat soaked t-shirt by sweat soaked t-shirt.  I shed the pounds and revealed the muscle underneath.  And in the process, I came to like the way I look. And I'm not ashamed to say it.  Straight vanity.

I saw this marathon as means to many ends.  But one of those ends was straight vanity, both physical and emotional.  I have been looking forward to having the metabolism of a thoroughbred, earned by running 20-40 miles per week.  I have been looking forward to seeing what that looks like in the mirror. I have seen it and I'm pleased.

I have also been looking forward to being able to say that I have run a marathon.  Most people today feel the way I used to feel about running a marathon.  I used to view running a marathon as an unattainable goal.  It was only for the exceptional people.  I have seen and heard the awe struck reactions of many of those I tell that intend to run a marathon. I can only imagine the reaction when I actually finish.  I like it.  Again, straight vanity.

There are a lot of great reasons to run a marathon.  This may not be one of them. Maybe it's not right to linger in front of the mirror a little longer after an especially good workout.  Maybe it's not right to fantasize about telling the marathon story.

Maybe it's not right...but it's real!

No comments:

Post a Comment