Monday, October 29, 2012

7 Reasons I'm Running a Marathon: #6 - Winning Begets More Winning


With seven days before I run my first marathon, I will blog all week about seven reasons why I'm running a marathon.


#6 - Because winning begets more winning!


Friday, I ran 10 miles.  It was my last "long" run before the marathon. I have long in quotes here, because I no longer consider 10 miles a "long" run.  And that fact alone blows my mind!!


How did I get here?  I think about this all the time in amazement.  Just a few months ago, I cut a training run short after eight miles because I was completely wiped.  Four years ago, I could barely run for five minutes.  I thought I was going to have a heart attack after 5 minutes of light jogging.  I remember how hard it was.  Feeling the pain in my back,  wheezing and gasping for air.

But then I discovered a secret.  Just win today, this day.  Just get started.  Just go a little bit further, a little bit faster than the last time.  It's not important what anyone else in the world is doing, because their journey is not my journey and, therefore, the two cannot be compared.  Because a win, no matter how small, leads to another win tomorrow.  And the wins get bigger and bigger each day. 


Today, I am in awe of where I am as compared to where I've been.  I have completed three runs of 20 miles or longer.  I run 20-40 miles per week and now consider a 10 mile run as a only a moderate challenge.  And I'm not special.  At least, I don't feel special.  I believe just about anyone could have done what I am doing.  

The confidence that comes with winning is indescribable. It has translated to many other aspects of my life.  It has helped me - and continues to help me - win everywhere.  I would not trade this feeling for anything. And I have marathon training to thank for it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment