Wednesday, March 21, 2012

10 thoughts for 10 miles - 3/21/12

Today, I completed my longest run since I finished a half-marathon back in 2010, 10 miles.  I have to say there's something scary about taking the first steps knowing you are planning to run double digit miles.  Even scarier is that 10 miles is not even half of the distance I plan to run in November.  The mere thought of it would have been straight lunacy three years ago.  Now, I am getting more and more confident, brazen even, with each run.  Here are 10 thoughts I had during my 10 mile run.


10) Your workout starts the night before
It is amazing how much stronger I am when I am well rested.  No shock here.  The trick is recognizing that your workout really starts the night before.  Get your $%#% to bed!


9) Stretch
The importance of stretching before and after a run cannot be overstated.  It reduces the soreness after a run and helps prevent those cramps that weaken your resolve while you run.


8) Gotta be the shoes!
I was having all sorts of knee and calf issues before I went to a "runners" shoe store and bought some real running shoes.  Now, I'm feeling especially spry when I run.  It's the shoes, Mike.  Gotta be the shoes!


7) Find a comfortable pace
My ego has been telling me for weeks that I can run faster than the pace at which I have been training (9:00 minute miles).  However, my head tells me to find a comfortable pace and stay there.  My head is winning...so far.


6) Occupy your mind
Once you have settled into a comfortable pace, the next trick is to occupy your mind, especially on runs that take an hour or more to complete.  To occupy my mind, I alternate between good music and dreams of world domination.  But that's just me.


5) Stride long
I constantly have to remind myself to lengthen my stride - no small task with my stubby little legs.  I feel like it takes more energy to take short strides than long ones.  It helps me pass the time (and the distance) quicker.


4)Take deep breaths
My mother, the one from whom I inherited my lack of height, taught me this when I was in college trying to run a six minute mile (long story).  Anyhoo, she taught me that by focusing on taking long, consistent breaths, I could push harder.  She was right! 


3) Is that calorie number really correct?
The treadmill said that I burned more than 1000 calories during my run.  Is that really true?  The crazy thing is that, even is that number is correct, I could undo the entire positive impact of a 90 minute run with a 5 minute session at the McDonald's down the street.  Life ain't fair!


2) "Drink your water people"
Gotta stay hydrated or as Tony Horton says in one of his P90x videos, "drink your water people."  Staying hydrated, I've heard, will keep you from cramping as well.  Nothing will throw a monkey wrench in your program faster than a nasty little cramp.


1) "I got this"
After I finished the 10 miles, I felt like I had plenty of gas left in the tank.  I did a little shimmy as a dismounted the treadmill and though to my self, "I got this!"

No comments:

Post a Comment