Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Only Trophies That Matter


By professional athlete standards, at 41, I am past my athletic prime.  I will never win a professional sports championship or hoist “the big trophy” over my head, but that does not mean that I am not a competitor.  Truth be told, I chase (and win) a trophy almost every single day.  My trophies will not make me rich and famous.  In fact, most often I win my trophies in total solitude and anonymity.  And yet, these are the only trophies that matter to me.    

I value this trophy so much that I have chased it in dozens, if not, hundreds of different cities and a handful of different countries.  I have chased this trophy at literally all times of the day and night.  As a matter of fact, as I write this, I am mentally preparing to claim my prize one more time.  And yet once, I earn my trophy, I toss it away like an angler in a catch-and-release tournament.  It is everything and nothing at all. 

This trophy is so meaningful to me because it can only be earned, not bought.  There is no way to cheat your way to it.  Some days, my trophy is the only thing I win and other days it is the start of day long winning streak.  At times, it brings solace and gives meaning to an otherwise meaningless day.  It signifies sacrifice and perseverance - the pride of accomplishment.

My trophy is a sweat soaked T-shirt.    


No comments:

Post a Comment