Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ball and Chain

Some people never leave home without MasterCard.  I never left home without a dew rag, one of my collection of a dozen bandanas.  

I am prone to perspire, said charitably, at any fitness level.  When I was 80 pounds overweight, I was a sweat fountain!  I would sweat thinking about physical exertion, let alone experiencing any.  As a result, I  developed an entire protocol to account for my sweating and limit the embarrassment it would cause me.  The bandanas were a critical part of the protocol. 

Every day, I would have a long self conversation and some form of calculus would ensue:

  • How warm is it outside?
  • How hard will I have to work to get to my destination?
  • How warm will it be inside when I arrive?
  • Will I be presenting in front of a group or can I hang in the background?
  • What can I wear to hide my sweat stains?  
  • And don't forget the dew rag!

You may wonder why I spent so much time addressing the symptoms of the problem rather than the problem itself.  Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.  I was so used to making allowances for being overweight that I barely realized I was doing it.  For a long while, I was simply resigned to living life with an extra degree of difficulty.  The maneuvering around my weight issues was simply additional weight I elected to carry, my personal ball and chain. 


I had no idea how much weight I was carrying emotionally until I was no longer carrying the weight physically. I share this story to encourage you to take a closer look at your life.  Maybe you have some bandanas that you don't need to be carrying.  They are heavier than you think.  



No comments:

Post a Comment