Thursday, September 1, 2011

Is it a crime?

Is it a crime that I linger in front of the mirror sometimes?  That I take an extra minute or two or three to admire what I see?  Some people may say it's vain to love my own image the way I do.  Would you agree?

Is it a crime that I linger in front of the mirror especially long after an especially good workout?  That I lift my shirt to reveal a four pack with plans for two more on the way?  I can remember when my middle was anything but little.  I can remember when my belly looked like the whole keg - not just a few cans.  It was only an eye's blink ago.  So is it a crime that I admire what I see today?

Is it a crime that I linger in front of the mirror sometimes?  That I take an extra gaze at arms that cut and jut just so - revealing biceps and triceps that have been doin' some serious work?  It wasn't so long ago that the only thing I saw when I looked at my arms was sweat circles.  That I was so out of shape that I would start to sweat by lifting a fork, let alone a dumbbell.

I earned this body.  I earned this body with hundreds of early morning work outs.  I earned this body with thousands of push ups and hundreds of push backs.  I earned this body one sweat drenched T shirt at a time.  I chiseled it like a sculptor. Is it wrong to admire my work?

So is it a crime?  Is it a crime that I revel in my reflection today?  That I gaze a little longer at arms that cut and jut just so.  Is it a crime that I look in the mirror and smile?

I don't think so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment