Monday, August 6, 2012

Running for the long haul? Pack a lunch!

The scariest thing for me about running a marathon is listening to all the stories people tell about "hitting the wall."  "They" all talk about it.  "They" say that you hit the wall at 18 miles or 20 or 22.  Of course, I start to get visions of being the discombobulated athletes you see on YouTube videos trying to finish a long race.  Thinking about it used to almost make me break out in a cold sweat!



Then, I had a conversation with my friendly neighborhood running guru, the helpful sales associate at Fleet Feet in Lawrenceville, GA where I buy my running shoes.  He says "the wall" is a myth.  Not really a myth, but something that is completely avoidable through proper eating and hydration.  And then he sold me some "stuff."  But I'm not mad at him, because the stuff he sold me works phenomenally well!

For my long runs, I have been carrying several packs of GU Energy Gel with me as well as "spiking" my water with Nuun Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tabs.  









For my long runs, I eat a GU pack every 30 minutes or so and drink my "enhanced" water, I have had no symptoms of "the wall."  No cramping, no wobble-de-wobble-de-wobble... I finish these runs feeling fresh....well, at least has fresh as you can feel after burning 2000+ calories.

It's the good stuff.  The next time you go running, you should try them!

Training Runs Completed
Tuesday (7/31) - 6 miles
Wednesday (8/1) - 8 miles
Thursday (8/2) - 6 miles
Friday (8/3) - 16 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment