Sunday, July 29, 2012

Why I'm Running a Marathon - Part 6


Because success begets more success.  Every time I do something hard, the hard things get easier.  Case in point, I ran a half marathon a couple years ago and I thought that was a big deal…and it was.  But in prep for this marathon, I will run a half-marathon or longer 10 times.  I’m not all apprehensive about a 13 mile training run, nervous like I was on the day of my half-marathon race.  I know it’s in the can because I’ve been there and done that.  That big thing (the half-marathon) got my mind right for an even bigger thing (the full Monty).  And now, I am even more confident I can run the marathon than I was in the half because I have built a track record of pushing myself in this way…and winning!

Success is a gateway drug.  I am amazed at how success in this area has spilled over to the other parts of my life.  If I can do this “hard” than why can’t I do this other “hard” in something completely unrelated?  The answer more often than not for me is, “there is no reason why I couldn’t do this, that or any crazy hard thing.”  I’m sky high off the rush I get from trying hard things and winning.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brian, I've followed you for a while at Twitter and I believe just as long on Linkedin. Until I saw the pictures, I had no reference point. Wow! Very impressive and dramatic change! Makes me want to strive to reduce the 6 inches off my waist. I also had a goal about 3 years ago, to lose 60 pounds. Did it! But wasn't content with the overall results. I lost the weight through similar efforts - diet and exercise - but was not happy about a 'pencil neck' and 36 inch waist. By the way, I lost 10 inches off my waist, but know another 6 inches wouldn't hurt. I'm still at it. I have additional motivation having met a young lady through my current contract role, who lost 50 lbs. in less than 6 months. She is inspirational - as you are. I realize now it's a matter of keeping the goal real and modifying my diet for the long haul. Thanks for sharing your journey. Last note: I turned 50 a couple days ago and glad to let the world know that I have not felt this good since I was in my early 20's! I'll keep at it and maybe one day, we can cross that marathon line together! Keep at it brother!

    ReplyDelete