Monday, July 23, 2012

Why I'm Running A Marathon - Part 4


Because I want to stay motivated.  The enormity of the task used to keep me on the couch.  I’d get started working out after another long period of inactivity.  I wouldn’t get results right away – because I didn’t know what I was doing – and I’d be all sore from trying to be the Incredible Hulk right out of the gate.  So I’d be on my couch, still fat and still sore from a workout that happened 5 days ago and say to myself, “I have to do THIS for the rest of my life?  No thanks!”

It's hard to “stay up,” to stay motivated for the rest of your life. But you can stay motivated for short periods of time.  These days, I always, always have a short term goal.  The marathon will be a six month process for me by the time I complete it, but I usually try to working in increments of 90 days or less.  You can endure anything for 90 days, right?  If not, try 60.  If not 60, try 30.  It helps me to have a defined finish line so I don’t feel like I’m locked in forever.  I’ll push hard to the finish line, take a breath for a minute and then start another race.

This way I’m always active, but I don’t feel like I’ve signed up for a life sentence.  This marathon is my short term motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment